This recipe is perfect if you need to make a quick dessert but you're feeling a bit lazy. It doesn't require much effort and is stilll yummy! I used a shop bought flan case (lazy as I am) and filled it with home made creme patissiere (vanilla pastry cream to those of us who like things simple). I topped the cream with raspberries and a sprinkling of icing sugar. Simple and scrumptious.
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, warm the milk over low heat until it is just hot enough to steam.
- While the milk is warming, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, flour, and cornstarch until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Once the milk is steaming, add half of it, whisking constantly, to the egg mixture.
- Add the milk and eggs back into the hot milk, continue stirring, and heat it for 1-2 minutes, until the custard reaches 170F on a digital thermometer and is very thick.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla extract, and chill before filling pastry.