My in-laws are throwing a new year's eve party tonight, and I offered to bake something sweet for their guests. I decided on making a chocolate marshmallow cake because it's sweet, chocolatey and doesn't contain anything that fussy eaters will turn their noses up at. I baked two chocolate sponges, using an incredibly easy recipe I found online (see below), and I sandwiched them together using a mixture of melted marshmallow and cream.
I've seen lots of marshmallow frosting recipes that I could've used to frost the outside of the cake, but I feared that this would be too sickly for some guests and I opted for a candy pink butter icing instead. I finished the cake with an assortment of marshmallows, and lots and lots of edible glitter! In fact, the cutesy girliness of this cake has caused my friend to dub it "Melted Barbie Cake."
Happy new year! x
Incredibly Easy Chocolate Cake
- 1 + 1/4 cup self raising flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flavourless vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F (Gas mark 4 or 180 deg C). Grease a 9 inch (23 cm) cake tin.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl.
- Add milk/water, vegetable oil and eggs. Mix everything together until smooth, either by hand or by using an electric mixer at slow speed. If the batter is too runny you may add slightly more flour.
- Transfer to bake tin and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 35 to 45 minutes.